Monday, March 11, 2024

Week 7 - In Texas



I know I put last week as week 7, but today is actually week 7 because it's exactly 49 days from when I officially "started" my mission, but it feels like day 1. Things are a lot different then they were at the CCM. Walking around there I was super happy and willing to talk to everyone, but that was because everyone there is a missionary and a member. It's a lot scarier trying to start friendly conversations when they are not friendly in return.

Spanish
So, the language thing here is interesting. There are so many immigrants, as well as Americans (obviously) because it's Texas. I'd say that for every person you talk to here, at least in my area, which is Abilene, there's a 50/50 chance that the person speaks English or Spanish.  And it's impossible to tell! So many people look Mexican, but speak perfect English, and so many people look American but don't understand a word.  I always feel so embarrassed when I say "Hola!" And then they're like "Hello!" So yeah it's hard to know which language to speak. My comp, Elder Rochelle (ruh-shell) speaks really good Spanish, so I'm learning a lot, and we listen to conference talks in Spanish every time we drive. Driving feels weird, for some reason it feels like missionaries shouldn't be driving. Maybe it's just because he's a kind of a crazy driver though. Tiwi keeps telling him to "check [his] speed"

Churches
So Texas is actually a lot like Utah in one way. All you have to do is drive, and after like 1 minute, you can find 5 different church buildings to attend. The only difference is that each building belongs to a different church. We're the buckle of the Bible belt, do pretty much everybody here is a Christian, but all different Christians. Honestly, I think it's harder to teach with this that with people who haven't heard of Christ, because they already have an opinion, and a lot of people are very confident and aggressive about their beliefs. I'm not that aggressive, so it's kind of hard for me. But, in blessings I've had, and in the scriptures, and in advice I've received, I keep noticing the word Bold. Like "Be bold." I feel like I have a good understanding of the gospel, and a testimony, but idk how I'm supposed to bring someone to our church when they're already dead set on their own religion, and are much more bold when saying it. I think God is trying to toughen me up by sending me here.

Church
On Sunday, I had my first Sunday in Abilene, TX, and it was actually really good. The first ward was in English, and we heard lots of powerful testimonies. I think one of the best things I heard was this guy went up and told about his conversion story. He had met with the missionaries before, and asked "how come the blacks had to wait so long to receive the priesthood?" And they didn't have an answer for him, and he was like "ha, gotcha." If someone asked me that, idk if I could answer it either, so I should study that more. He then talked a bit about the Book of Mormon, but mainly about the importance of having an open heart and an open mind. I'd you close your heart, it's impossible for the spirit to enter, because only you can let it in. He did say that once he read the Book of Mormon, and actually allowed himself to be taught, he learned so much, and God blessed him tremendously. God wants to bless us, and he is, but we won't see that if we put up our umbrellas. Anyways, I thought it was powerful. Then we had a Spanish ward, but there are so few people that we did it in the relief society room. The only family that came was a family we taught earlier,  they're not members, but they are curious, and have been taught a lot. They seem very receptive, and Elder Rachelle thinks we can get that baptized really soon. The Spanish meeting was really good. It was fast Sunday here, because they had stake conference last week, so I got to fast 2 Sundays I  a row. I bore my testimony in Spanish, and Elder Rachelle thought I did really good. He said he got a 1.7 on the LSA before he arrived, and I got a 5, so I've got a good head start. But yeah church was really good, I felt the spirit very strongly.

Spontaneous investigator
So Elder Rachelle and I were driving home, and suddenly he pulled over and was like "I feel like we gotta knock that door." So we walked to the door he wanted and knocked, and this guy named Antony answered. He asked us why we were there, and Elder Rachelle was like "because God told us to." That got him interested. Elder Rachelle told him how we were just driving home and he felt prompted to knock his door, and he answered. So we talked for a bit, and left him with the Book of Mormon, the new testament, and the address to the church. I thought that it was a cool experience, and so we'll see what happens.

Some thoughts 
So basically, it was a good week, but also pretty hard, and I honestly enjoyed not a lot of it. It's not how I expected it to be, and talking to people is a lot harder than it used to be. Elder Rachelle mentioned how everyone has a reason for coming on a mission, but as you go along, you need to find a reason to stay on the mission. I think that goes for all aspects of the gospel, you need to know why you live it. I need to figure out why I'm really here, and I need to discover how important it really is. I trust that it's important, because my life at home is so good because of the gospel, but teaching it to people out here is different.

Bella and Ethan
Ethan and Bella also got married this week!! So happy for them. I was sad I missed the wedding, and the awesome party, but there will be a few more coming around. When I get back, they're gonna be the most epic parties ever.

Apartment
So, the apartment I'm in with Elder Rachelle has not been very well kept, and it's low key nasty. There are cockroaches everywhere. I didn't expect that in America. One jumped into my beans during lunch, and I found one on my leg this morning. Some Elder also left the cinnamon toast crunch bag open, and so it was infested. I'll put a picture in. Everything you care about has to be sealed up. It's so nasty, we're gonna clean a lot today. I hate cockroaches. Also, one Elder gave me a rubix cube, so that's sick, and it's not in bad condition either, and there are two legs sets just chilling here at the apartment, up for grabs. And so I grabbed them. What's funny is I almost bought that same Lego set back home, and I wanted a rubix cube at the CCM, and a black fanny pack back home, and a ukulele, and I got all those things here in my apartment! Even though it's gross, I think it's funny how God blessed me with exactly what I wanted, I just had to get on my mission to get it. They're just small things, but still. And I don't actually have the ukulele yet, but a different Elder left it at a different apartment and he said he would call the elders there and get it for me. God blesses us, we just gotta be patient and do what he asks. He wants us to be happy, and the best way to find happiness is by living the gospel, keeling the commandments. Amen

Pictures: sorry, I didn't take to many this week, but I'll take more here. I'll also send some from the last moments of the CCM. Also there's no order to it, but the roaches Pic is in there.










I solved the Rubix cube in less than 49 seconds!
I was able to call my family on Saturday for Ethan's wedding. Here is Peter talking to me at the reception
Also, just had to send this because Katherine is just so cute



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15: Tornado

So this week's been kinda crazy, but I don't have tons of time because we were bust today. Endoscopy I mentioned in an earlier email...